Movies can spark the viewer’s emotions. They act as a digital mirror when we need to reflect on our lives or inspiration when we need uplifting. We can relate to movies with warm and fuzzy themes and ones with heavy topics like drugs.
Some movies cover various stories and types of substances. However, you should note that the graphic representation can trigger a relapse. As a result, professionals recommend ongoing guidance and support to prevent relapse.
It is essential to get addiction treatment, such as guidance and support to help you or your loved one achieve long-term recovery. 310 Recovery is a team of therapists, case managers, and counselors who create custom plans to help individuals achieve long-term recovery and wellness.
Top Heroin Addiction Movies
- Trainspotting: Trainspotting is based on a novel with that name. Mark Renton, the main character, and his friends are individuals with heroin use disorder. The movie covers the struggle with addiction from the acquisition, to how people end up needing more, and the withdrawal process.
It features a mix of jarring scenes and humorous ones. The scenes are a representation of what it’s like to be addicted. Trainspotting is popular among people struggling with substance use disorder and the professionals who help them. It is known to be impactful and can convince individuals or their loved ones to get heroin rehab or other substance use disorder treatment.
- Traffic: Traffic is a movie that has won 4 academy awards. It provides an all-round perspective on how drugs affect our lives both directly and indirectly. The main characters are caught up in the U.S. drug trade. It shows the effects of medications to home, the kingpins who run the drug trade, and the government’s war on drugs.
Moreover, Traffic shows that anyone can get into the world of drugs through the character Caroline Wakefield. It also features how the society, starting from the families, fails those with substance use disorder. The movie gives its lessons through the perspectives of users, traffickers, enforcers, and politicians.
- Basketball Diaries: Basketball Diaries is a movie that focuses on how teenagers can easily fall into abuse and addiction. Jim Carrey, the main character, faces numerous triggers that lead to heroin abuse and addiction. For example, the loss of his best friend and assault.
The main character played by Leonardo Di Caprio is a high school basketball player who drops out of high school due to these triggers. Jim’s addiction case lands him and his friends in a series of trouble before he can abstain. Basketball Diaries is a movie derived from Jim Carrey’s autobiography. The film shows the effects of using drugs as a coping mechanism and how it can impact your life in the long run.
- Requiem for a Dream: Requiem for a Dream is also based on a novel by Hubert Selby Jr. the book carries the same name as the movie. It is about four characters who get into drug addiction and how it impacts them physically and emotionally. Moreover, it shows how addicts can quickly get desperate and delusional.
The movie also shows the consequences of being involved in the use of illegal drugs and trafficking.
- Less Than Zero: Less than zero stars our favorite Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr, who plays Julian Wells, a character who just finished high school. The movie is scripted from Bret Easton Ellis’ novel of the same name.
Julian is from a wealthy family and tries to open a record label company that fails. He turns to drugs, which give his life a downturn. The movie shows various consequences such as bad relationships with family and friends, and getting involved with the wrong people.
Interestingly, Downey Jr. was arrested for possession of cocaine and heroin ten years after the movie was released. The movie also teaches that despite wealth and outwards, a perfect life perception does not mean that it’s always smooth.
What Can You Learn From These Movies?
We can get motivation and lessons on alcohol and drug abstinence. Movies are a good example and are recommended by professionals. However, it is essential to have ongoing guidance and counseling because the graphic representation of drugs can easily cause a relapse.
Many movies address drugs like heroin. Some top heroin addiction movies include Trainspotting, Traffic, Basketball Diaries, Requiem for a Dream, and Less Than Zero. They offer a lot of valuable lessons. Such lessons include the various effects of drugs on multiple levels, including personal, family, and society.
Moreover, the movies teach anyone who can have substance use disorder despite their age, or wealth, and other factors. For example, Harry’s mom from Requiem for a Dream gets addicted to amphetamines. It is essential to emulate the characters that seek help, and those that offer support to their loved ones or those affected. Moreover, you should strive to maintain healthy relationships to avoid substance use disorder.
Addiction Treatment at 310 Recovery
While watching the movies above, you need to have ongoing guidance and counseling to get the appropriate motivation. 310 Recovery is an organization in Los Angeles that offers such services and more. We customize treatment and recovery plans for our patients based on their needs. The project progresses through three main programs depending on your treatment needs.
Our programs include detox, residential, and outpatient treatment. The detox program helps individuals to detox and remove the drugs from their system. Our residential program gives our patients a safe space and professionals to help them cope with withdrawal symptoms and set up for long-term recovery. The outpatient program is meant to help individuals ease back into their lives. You can get treatment while going to school or work.
Our treatment covers substance use disorder for substances like alcohol, cocaine, heroin, prescription drugs, and more. We also offer various therapies to help cope with co-occurring disorders like bipolar disorder, or anxiety disorder. Contact us now to get an individualized treatment plan for you or your loved ones.
Ready to Get the Best Addiction Help For Your Loved One in L.A?
You can get addiction help and treatment at 310 Recovery in Los Angeles. Contact us now to help create a customized recovery plan.